Well actually, it's PINTEREST CHALLENGE TIME!! (and yes, the caps lock is for effect)
You might remember back in the fall, my last pinterest challenge was the yarn vase that I made into the wee hours of the morning.
This time, my inspiration was more about something that needed to be finished. You see, I've got these wedding presents that needed some spray paint.
Here's my original pin.
As a former bride (it's been 5 years, but I can remember it vividly), I loved this idea of your new married monogram for the front door. It's something I know I would have loved to have received and I always like to try and find something original for the newlyweds. Although, I'm not so sure anything is original anymore now that Pinterest exists.....
Now, I did not make the monograms. Those have to be ordered from the website. But, when they come to you, they are in a natural wood state (and actually smell quite nice). I can see someone loving it in it's original form, but I knew I wanted to make it look even more polished.
So out came the spray paint. I wanted to make them black (because one of the brides has a white door, so I knew I wanted something that popped)
I used Sherry's spray paint suggestions and focused on light coats with a swayin' arm.
|Here it is after one coat. Nice and light.|
I have to tell you, I was really intense on swinging my arm. So much so that I didn't notice the grass becoming part of my project.
|I know the neighbors aren't going to be happy about that.|
|Spray paint of choice. Also known as what I had on hand.|
I was happy with the coverage I was able to get after 5 or 6 rounds of spray. But, upon closer inspection, I noticed some bubbling on the paint.
If this was something I was going to keep, honestly? I would have overlooked this minor snafu. It didn't look that bad, but because these were gifts, I wanted them to look more professional.
On our way to the gym that morning, we swung through Lowe's for a Fine grit sanding block.
(this was my instagram photo letting John and Sherry know I was hard at work)
After the first swipe of the block, I was scared. I saw scratches and freaked out. But, I mustered up the courage to keep going. And I ended up really liking how it turned out. I took it a little bit farther and gave the edges some distressing and ended up loving the effect.
It's subtle, but you can still see it.
Then came time to hang it up.
My first instinct was to hot glue the ribbon to either side and meet with a bow in the middle.
But, that ended up looking pretty blah to me.
I ended up going with just knotting the ribbon in the middle with a nice little bow to hide the hook.
|don't mind the front door color. I have no control over it.|
I actually think I need a ribbon with even more pop.
But, other than that. I'm in love. I definitely need to order one for our front door.
ribbon opinions are welcome :)